Office of State Audits and Evaluations FAQs
What does the Career Ladder look like?
What qualities/abilities does OSAE look for?
- Possess strong analytical skills
- Be able to act independently
- Effectively communicate; both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work in a team environment with a positive and professional demeanor
- Be open-minded, flexible, tactful, reliable, and dependable
- Ability to learn and use electronic working paper software
- Willingness to travel to worksite away from headquarters overnight or multiple day trips on a continuous basis
- Leadership abilities
- Ability to take initiative
- Good judgment
Does OSAE offer CPA qualifying experience?
Yes it does.
Does the State offer any benefits for obtaining a CPA license?
Permanent full-time employees who successfully pass the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) examination is compensated with the Professional Certification Bonus of $4800 paid over the course of three years.
The State also reimburses 50 percent of the CPA license fee up to a maximum of $100 per year.
What are the typical work hours for staff?
OSAE offers multiple schedule options including:
- 4/10/40 - Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. – 5:45 p.m.
- 9/8/80 – alternate day off
- Standard Monday - Friday
Is travel required?
Yes, based on assignment needs. Assignments may occur locally or throughout California.
What benefits are offered for new employees?
Generally, employees earn paid time off (sick leave/vacation or annual leave), health, dental, and vision benefits, and can participate in the state’s retirement program. Detailed information about benefits offered to Finance employees can be found on DOF’s Benefits Page.
Do we get time-off with pay for holidays?
Yes, employees receive 11 paid holidays each year. To see a listing of all state holidays, please visit CalHR’s website: http://www.calhr.ca.gov/employees/Pages/state-holidays.aspx