State-County Assessors’ Partnership Program
The 2014 Budget Act appropriates $7.5 million for the first year of a three‑year State‑County Assessors’ Partnership Program (Program) to enhance county property assessment efforts. The purpose of the Program is to ensure that county assessors have the resources necessary to fairly and efficiently administer the county property tax rolls. Fair and efficient administration includes, but is not limited to, the expeditious enrollment of properties that are newly constructed or that change ownership, the timely levying of supplemental assessments when ownership changes occur, the timely reassessment of property to reflect market values, and the defense of assessed valuations that have been appealed.
The Program is limited to nine county assessors’ offices. Participating assessors’ offices will come from counties with a representative range of populations, and will be competitively selected based on the strength of their applications.
Program funds provided to participating county assessors shall be used to supplement, and not supplant, existing funding.
Participating counties will be required match their state grant on a dollar‑for‑dollar basis.
Program funds and the county matching funds may be used for the following general purposes:
- Payment of salaries and benefits to Program staff.
- Procuring office space for the Program Staff.
- Procuring office supplies and related items for Program Staff.
As the three‑year Program term nears its expiration date, the Department of Finance will evaluate the results and issue a report to the Legislature detailing the outcomes of the Program. At that point, state policymakers will decide whether or not to renew, expand or end the Program.
- Award Information: This page provides information related to awards made by the Department of Finance. http://www.dof.ca.gov/SCAPP/award_info/
- Reporting Requirements: This page provides information related to required reporting requirements for those Assessors who are awarded a grant.
- Legislation: This page provides information related to the statutes that govern the Program.
- Frequently Asked Questions: This page provides answers to commonly asked questions.
Webpage last updated January 18, 2016